Labels

college (25) friends (25) parameters (25)

A NOTE

JUST CLICK ON THE MONTH IN THE CONTENTS SECTION TO GET THE LIST OF THE POSTS ACCORDING TO THE DATES.. THE TOPMOST POST IN THE OCTOBER 2012 IS THE FIRST CHAPTER TO THE SERIES

Monday, August 4, 2014

PARAMETERS 2.iv--- THE FIRST FEST

It was a festival all around the campus. We would be experiencing the first fest of our life. Before that we have only heard of the celebrity bands to perform in the college fests. But seeing them in our own campus and rocking the stage would be the greatest pleasure. We all were excited about the upcoming fest. Preparations were going on. The organisers that would be 3rd year students had divided themselves in several groups. one of them would be looking after the programme schedule and arranging them likewise . One part would be busy collecting funds and sponsors for the programme. Another part would be looking after the decorations of the stage and the field and the stalls.
Many batchmates and 2nd year seniors had become the helping hands and were participating in whatever help they could give. I was called up by a drama group organised by the seniors. I would only help them with the preparation of the props and my reward would be to witness the drama rehearsals which I enjoyed very much. The seniors were also pleased with my dedication and treated me well enough.
Few days before the fest Pande ,  Pinky ,  Hubba , Somen (Fora) , and I were chatting in our room. We were planning and sharing our excitements towards the fest. Hubba mockingly told that he had heard that PINK FLOYD is coming this time in the college. Pinky was excited to hear that in the beginning but soon realised that it was a joke and he was pulling Pinky's leg.
Pinky replied , " Hubba , This is fest. You might not have heard about it in the Jungle. Its a civilised society entertainment show."
 Hubba would carry on , " Then why on Earth do a civilised person bangs his head to the Band music like the uncivilised creature  ?? "
Pinky got irritated and replied like the  bullet train  which was actually very  difficult to understand. It only showed that Pinky is excited.
Suddenly in the midst of the discussions a proposal came that we may try to have hard drinks on that day. We all were non drinkers although some of us had had a taste or so before. But none of us were regular or addicted. Hubba and I are still non smokers. So the proposal was like Delhi ka laddu. It excited us as we knew that some of our batchmates were planning to have hard drinks on that day. It would be a cool stuff to drink and dance on to the band songs and mark our identity as grown ups. We all were excited but afraid at the same point. Hubba straight away said no to the proposal. I remember he declared a principle he believes in ( we had mocked that a lot in the college days though ) ... " I would never drink with my father's money " . We had joked on his principle a lot although I respect that from the bottom of the heart. I was not confident enough about the proposal and did not gather guts that I can control myself as I have heard a lot of bad views about drinking habits. The rest of us said that they would try atleast with small amount of alcohol.
On the day of FEST , all of us gathered in our room 3 hours before the fest would start. A lot of arrangements were done like the graphics board acting as  the table , newspapers to cover up the board , cold drinks , chaknas , and a small bottle of hard drinks to be shared by 4 people. Arghyo , who was the roommate of Hubba had also joined us. He claimed that it was his first time too. I had finally taken the decision to be a witness only and not to be a consumer. Hubba had also come in the room and wanted to taste the chaknas and would only have cold drinks. Pande got irritated when he saw Hubba eating up the chaknas and having the cold drinks slowly. Pande fired at him , " Aae Hubba , What the hell !!! Either you drink with us or get lost . Don't you eat up the chaknas like that." Hubba did not bother what he said and only added , " Pande don't talk much. Soon you would be unconscious and you will not know who hits you at that time . So better behave properly." Saying this Hubba smiled and ate few more chaknas.  Pande was red with irritation but did not say anything. We all had a good time that evening. After this we went to the field where the fest programme would start shortly.
We had a blast at the FEST . Fossils , Cactus , Mohiner Ghoraguli and other college bands had rocked the show. There were many other programmes and it was a real blast. I realised that many were present there in the drunk state and many had tasted the drinks out of curiosity and to experience the first time. The air was smelling of drinks. It was uneasy for me in the beginning. But after some time I got accustomed to it. The fest started with the chairs in proper arrangements and people decently seating in their seats but near to the end of the show it seemed there had been a storm or tornado. All the chairs had toppled. People dancing on the chairs , with handkerchiefs tied on the foreheads.
Celebrations ended at about 1 Am in the morning.

I headed towards my room. I found that I could hardly walk and my steps are not even falling straight. I was moving like the drunk man. The air had the alcohol essence and the smell had affected me as if I was drunk. Some of the batchmates started telling me as I climbed the hostel stairs that I am chupa rustam. I have told that I would not drink and I have lied according to them. No one believed me that I did not drink that day. When I reached my room I found that my roommates were already home and were sleeping. I closed the door and lied on the bed. I told myself , " Its better to drink and sleep than to hear and face all this crap without even drinking. Better luck next time. "

No comments: