Labels

college (25) friends (25) parameters (25)

A NOTE

JUST CLICK ON THE MONTH IN THE CONTENTS SECTION TO GET THE LIST OF THE POSTS ACCORDING TO THE DATES.. THE TOPMOST POST IN THE OCTOBER 2012 IS THE FIRST CHAPTER TO THE SERIES

Monday, November 5, 2012

PARAMETERS 1.xvi - FM 93.2

The month of October had ended. We finished our self extended holidays and were about to join back college after the diwali. Some of the students had come back earlier and after joining back I realised that they even celebrated Diwali on the hostel roof by burning crackers. After a lot of days I would be back to my own territory. It was like a homecoming feeling. The opening of the lock and giving up my body on the bed with a thump had a backhome kinda relief. It was odd but true.

I was still lying on the bed  , still not changed my clothes into something comfortable and not even unpacked my bag. Pinky and pande had already arrived a few hours before me. They were in the next room. Pinky had come in between and said a loud energetic hello to me , to which I replied lazily... " hey.!! Where is everyone? What are you guys doing ?"

"Ahhh , we all are in Somen's room. nothing but chatting . Come quick.. change fast you lazy lamb. You just came from home . Seems like you climbed a mountain." , saying this in a speedy way he went out. I was too tired to respond. I realised after a few minutes that the radio in the room was on. It made a buzzing low sound. I was staring at the radio and thinking to switch it off.
"This Pinky..." , I thought , " doesn't even remember to switch off a radio... " , the very thought of getting up disturbed me.

Suddenly I could hear someone calling my name in the room. I became terrified. Was I hearing it wrong. I waited till it happened again after a few seconds. No , It was clearer now. Its a voice calling out my name.

" Ghosh you mota lazy fellow.... how come you are so lazy ?" the voice was telling me.

I looked amazed to find the source. It was an electronic sort of voice. It was coming from the radio. Yeahh.. I am sure now..It was from the radio..

My tiredness flew out of the window. I stared at the radio puzzled. It was using slangs now. It reminded me that I was a lazy fat freak incapable of anything useful. I could hear many people laugh. They were using slangs and I really got terrified. I switched off the radio and when I turned it on the voice was still there. Suddenly it struck to me that Pinky entered the room to do something and I got a feeling he was doing something with the radio. I just ran to the next room and banged the door which was closed.

Somen opened the door for me. Priyankar , Pande were sitting on one bed (Manish 's bed who had still not come) , Hemendra was on his bed with his legs crossed. Somen after opening the door sat back and started conversing on the details of the durga puja he spent that year. I tried to make out from the facial expressions. But damn!!! I could hardly find out any. Hemendra always had a simple innocent look. You can't believe if he kills someone anytime. Somen was talking different. Pinky and Pande were listening to Somen like a polite listener. Pinky was never that calm. That extra calmness made me think. I realised there was a radio on the table and the red light was on. The radio is on. What sort of people will do that. I jumped up and shouted ," Hey you smarties... just tell me what's happening?"

They would have tried to act normal only if my shoutings would not have been repeated in the radio.

Pinky banged on the table , "Shitttt!!!" and gave a defeated look to Hemendra. Pande and Somen smiled at my puzzled attitude.

I looked at Hemendra and asked for an answer or an explanation to that. He could hardly lie. He gave up. He took out a green pocket transmitter from his pocket. I din't know what it was till he told me that and said he forgot to put it in off mode in a hurry as I have entered suddenly. He explained me about the transmissions , radio signals and the receptors in the radio. I was proud to be a part of that scientific joke.

Afterwards I had changed and went to their room for I wanted to discuss more about the new interesting encounter. I was moved by Hemendra's creative knowledge. I wanted to apply this in a more bigger way. I asked if that was possible.

Somen told , " This is the basic technology of the radio channels. This is how they work."
"So you mean to say , we can have our own radio channel ?" , I was getting more into that.

Hemendra stopped me , " See all this transmitters have a limited range. The one used in radio stations are very much powerful and far expensive. This one has a very limited capacity ."

"But still we can use it in that way at least in a small zone for say the campus or the two hostels atleast." I suggested.

Somen thought a little bit and added , "Yeah , quite possible. We can give a try and if we can arrange more transmitting ways like an antenna or something we can definitely make a 1km range at least. I feel so..."

I was getting an adventure smell here. I was way too excited.

'So what do we call it ? MISSION FM or something ?' , I queried quite excitedly.

Hemendra paused me by saying , ' There is no need to name anything now. Just see where it goes. "

This was their game that they had let me play and  I was way too excited to be part. That was too much to ask for. I was also looking forward to the experiment. Somen told me , 'tonight its too late to start anything. Tomorrow we start in a fresh way..."

I had to agree. I had no choice. But I knew about the butterflies in the stomach that would ruin my sleep that night.

Many had still not joined college and so the morning PT fallin had an unbelievable attendance. I was offcourse not present and no one expected also. I heard it from Pinky along with his deliberate jibber jabber to Pande for waking me up .
"How long are you going to sleep ? Its 8. We woke up at 6. Don't you feel shame ?" , Pinky sometimes turns worse than my mother.

After the breakfast I went to Somen's room. The classes would also be not having a good attendance so Somen too had decided to miss the first half classes. I was far more excited about the radio thing now. I asked as soon as I sat on his bed , " So how do we start ?"

Somen was expecting something like that from me. He had a ready answer , " I guess we have to build an antenna or some arrangement to strengthen the signal."

"An antenna ?" , I became thoughtful although it did not help.
"Yes.." he started again , " lets look for something but you have to wait a little. Let me have my breakfast first ."
"You did not have your breakfast ? You did not go to PT ?"

He answered with a single "no" and went outside. I thought of my cruel , partial room mates.
I thought or may be my 'love to be lazy' brain cells told me , "It was better off in the first place. I was the one who changed my room. My previous roomies would have given a damn if I slept till 8. I was the one to hit my own foot with axe. Hey Pandit sir(administrative officer) forgive me for I have misjudged you. "

I still compared in my mind about how unlucky I was and how lucky Somen was to get Hemendra and Manish as room mates.

Somen came back and without entering the room just told me from the corridor , "lets go to the roof , may be we can think of something."

I followed him like the newly joined assistant in office. We went up to the roof. It was a sunny weather. We walked , and it felt great to be there after a long time. Due to the recent diwali celebrations the roof was a little untidy with burned crackers here and there. But it felt great to see that even. I gave Somen space to think and he started looking at the floor with a constant gaze , suddenly picked up a few burnt tarabatis.. He looked at them for a few seconds and came back to me in an excited tone.

" Look we can scrap off the burnt portions and use them."
I still did not understand completely . He added , " These ends are made of copper. As you know copper is a good conductor. It will help in transmitting radio signals even. We can use them. There is a bunch lot of these. Only we have to scrap off the burnt thing. What say ??"

I was impressed. I really hugged him with joy. We also discussed further on the improvisations. When anyone would come to the roof , we would act normal as if we were there to roam around. We wanted to keep it a secret. Our discussions would be in the roof only so that we face lesser number of people.

Somen had bent those and tied a few of them together to give our small portable golden coloured antenna a sexy look. We attached the antenna in the topmost place of the roof so that it would be impossible for anyone's eye to reach there and also attached a long copper wire ( I don't recall from where he got that ) and took it from the backside and made it hanging just outside Hemendra's room. Every improvisation we made had been tested with a check on the actual improvement of voice quality. Hemendra would participate by talking from the room and we would run throughout the roof to see whether the signal reached that area.

After a hell lot of improvisations we decided to have a showdown. We had gone around the campus with a pocket radio and mobile phone of Somen . The channel came as 93.2 FM . I kept calling from my cell phone to Hemendra to give a feedback. We realised that the signal was not only available in the two hostels but also could be easily received in the fields.

Ahh , I loved the way the things were going. We decided to start a new FM in campus and take the feedback from the people. We thought of the advertising methods and had planned many things. That evening I also played a famous bollywood song on the transmitter and went to a different room to get the views. Siddharth (whom we called lebu) was sitting there.

"Hey have you heard of the new FM  channel ?" , I asked immediately as I entered.
" New one? " saying so he took out his mobile phone immediately.

"Ya , I don't know how it is? But some are saying quite okay ...", I told.

"93.2 ... ya I think they have launched a new one... not bad.. good music..", he replied.

I could hear the song played by myself from his mobile. I was extremely happy but hardly could show that. I went out before that song finished.

I entered the room and all the evening I had continued playing the RJ DAVID and played songs from the cd player.

That night Hemendra came in and told us ," We should stop this because its a criminal offense as I have heard."

I was taken aback at that. Somen kept silent.
Hemendra continued , " See for fun its okay. We did that. But if we continue doing this and if the local police comes to know by any means then they can take actions against us as we don't have proper registration or license of any sort. It a crime."

How on earth can playing music and entertaining people be a crime. I did not know. But Hemendra had a wise image in front of me. I could hardly confront him. I switched off the transmitter. Gave it back and the cd player. I understood he had reasons and he was right. Somen also admitted that. We had to give up the childish mission although we claimed to accomplish that.

At the canteen in the dinner time I met Siddharth. He called me and told me right there , " hey ...the newly launched FM suddenly stopped. I was listening to it all the evening. But suddenly it stopped. They were playing good music. I don't know if there is a problem with my cell phone but all other channels are pretty clear."

I told , "No , your cell is perfectly okay. It must be a problem with the channel. It was new. There can be many issues. It stopped on my radio too . Don't worry...." .
He gave a relieved smile.

I returned my room to find that Pinky and Pande were planning something very exciting and waiting for me to come. Their eyes lit up as I entered. Especially Pinky had almost stood up from the chair telling me , " heyy...we are planning to visit Pande's house on weekend. It would be outstanding. He has a big lawn where we can play cricket. What say???? you coming...??"

I was the last one who would say "no " to plans.... and the bright faces on my approval told my brain cells back , " I have done it right by choosing 213... damn your sleep!!'

P.S : I dedicate this post to the person I never got a chance to tell that the 93.2 was created by us... I wish you know now...:)
 

No comments: