Labels

college (25) friends (25) parameters (25)

A NOTE

JUST CLICK ON THE MONTH IN THE CONTENTS SECTION TO GET THE LIST OF THE POSTS ACCORDING TO THE DATES.. THE TOPMOST POST IN THE OCTOBER 2012 IS THE FIRST CHAPTER TO THE SERIES

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

PARAMETERS 1.xii - Disco Dance

Within few days of my college life I had gained friendship of so many people. It was a new world and and I was at the peak of my independent life. Apart from the close friends I have mentioned till now , lot of batchmates had turned good friends by then. Atleast I was a lot more popular here than I was in my school days. I had been doing mimicry or copying the voices of some faculty and seniors and even some batchmates which kept my popularity alive and I really enjoyed the attention I got. The small interactions with many batchmates and short and sweet encounters with them always made me love my college ambience. As I have said exceptions are everywhere , but I normally looked on the greener side. I also had a hobby or a passion of maintaining a diary. I would update all my doings and embed my feelings in that dumb and deaf friend of mine .

We were not the ones who only had a childish group with a funny name. Everyone had their own set of choices. We had the power group , gym group , 29 group ( played cards all day ) , addicted group (we called gaza group) and even the orkut group ( the computer lab will be occupied in the evening by them and yes orkut was really popular ).

Fresher's day was near by. There would be selections in few days. We were all excited. Our interactions with the other batchmates and participation in the leg pulling among them continued. By that time everybody had a name given by the batchmates which resembled physical appearance or behaviourial charactersistics. Names like kaka ( uncle ), mama (maternal uncle ) , jatha ( father's elder brother ) , mora (dead body ), maagi (noodles) , snake , robot was like hot cake and nothing was spared. Even one guy was named after a currency of 5 . The names were embarassing and funny. I somehow enjoyed the fact that by God's grace I was not been given a name tag till then. I was called by my sername or at the max Hubba will sometime call me "mota" (overweight). I relished the absence of a permanent nickname which had troubled me a lot in my school life.

In the college everyone had started preparing for the freshers programme . It seemed a kind of festival out there. Hidden talents started to come out. The seniors were also seen preparing their own programme for the day. I was interested in drama and mimicry. A drama group which had some of our marine seniors also ,  had selected me based on the appraisal my fellowmates. But they did not plan any show in the freshers. With the whole college dancing to the tune of an upcoming event , we could hardly resist ourselves in an exciting activity. It was Monday evening and I had already arrived in the evening. Pinky and Pandu were still on the way. I was expecting them to show up. It was 7:45 pm when they entered together.

Pande entered the room with that heavy luggage , kept the bag on the table and sat down releasing all his weight on the hostel bed which made a crunchy noise . Pinky too kept the luggage and started opening it immediately.
"Look what I have got..."he looked at me once to ensure that he was addressing me and continued with the unzip of his big luggage bag.
"Speakers !!!" he added , taking out two white coloured computer speakers .

Then he again started looking inside the bag and this time he took out an old cd player.

"What are you gonna do with that ?"I asked him with awe .

Pande answered , "Strip dance... she is gonna show some moves...and I will add something to that."

Quite astonished at their sudden unplanned unpackings I asked again , " Now what ? What will you add now ?"

Pande took out the single thing from his bag that explained his tiresome entry.  It was big round shaped disco light. It had a pattern changer with it.

Within no time Pinky arranged a chair , stood on it , attached the disco light from a hook in the ceiling .. He played some dance tracks music cd after trying with some hard metallic rock to which he did not get much appreciation ( only slangs would have been better ) . The room lights were switched off and we had a dance floor ready at 213. Some of the guys from other rooms also joined us partly and the corridor was booming with the sound. Somen and Hubba had also made their presence in the dance floor. We even made Hemendra dance who was always the most shy guy of our college and neighbourhood. It was total fun. Right in the first year I was having the disco experience. It was amazing....

The next day Shibu enquired at the canteen table about the disco lights we had in our room. I asked him how he had come to know.

"The girls in the hostel 3 had saw the lights blinking and they were curious about that ." , he told with a quite obvious fact kind of expression.

"Ohh... Did they? and how come you know about it ?"I asked back.
"My girlfriend lives there and the other girls told her. She asked me. " Shibu shrinked his shoulders a little and expressed that was obvious too.

I felt good. I was being observed and that too the girls and that too they were talking about it all night..

We had disco dances quite often that week and whenever we had I would insist on opening of the window and give reasons for fair amount of air passage...

That weekend I was almost ready for going home when Someone called me from behind , " Hey you... 1st yr guy..smart disco dancer huh...."

It was a senior from some other stream. He was coming towards me and I freezed like ice. He handed me an assignment copy of more than 60 pages and told , " Seems you are having a lot of time..spending on disco dance , just finish these by Tuesday or else you will dance in my room.. You get that."

I decided to reschedule my upcoming week and there will be definitely no dancing .




 

No comments: